Monday, May 7, 2012

Why did I chose to make organic cleaning and personal care products for my senior project?
I was never aware of the harm of Chemicals until my brought it upon my attention. My cousin, was diagnosed with cancer. It wasn't until this point that I realized that the chemicals we use in everyday products CAN be a cause of cancer. There are chemicals found in processed  food, cleaning supplies, and products we use on and in our bodies on a daily basis that we don't even realize we are using that can over time, cause harm to our health, and our environment.

Even though I was aware of hazardous chemical use in products, I was never fully aware until the summer going into my junior year of high school. As I was completing my AP Summer homework, I read a informative essay on the ingredients in toothpaste. I was shocked, and disgusted with the components of toothpaste that as consumers we buy and use twice a day in our mouths!
Check out this link to become aware of the top 10 dangerous ingredients in toothpaste
Top Ten Dangerous Toothpaste Ingredients- TopTenz.net

After coming to the realization that the products we use DO have a negative effect on our bodies and our environments, it was time for me to make a difference. The easiest way to inform and learn alternatives for everyday products was to address Organic Products vs. Store bought products for my senior project. I asked my Aunt Debbie who has turned Organic living into a lifestyle to be my mentor. The harms of chemicals has personally touched a member of my family which makes it even more important to inform others to prevent illnesses and exhibit healthy lifestyles.
Here is my mentor, Debbie Berry's blog Rawsome Nana on living a healthy lifestyle by what you eat, clean with, and use on oneself and ones home.
My thanks go out to my aunt, for teaching me so much on organic living, and being my mentor. Her help is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment